Monday, November 29, 2010

Accentuating the Negative

Based on your familiarity with Sony products, what business strategy do you recommend that Stringer [the current CEO, assuming this textbook isn't out of date] employ to help Sony accelerate its business progress?

There are some professors you can't help but just hate.  The individual who assigned this particular question for what I assume is basically a Level 1 course is very quickly headed for that category of professors.

This question assumes that I have a first-hand knowledge of all things Sony, as opposed to the urgent need for a Google search on all things Sony that could end up eating the rest of my afternoon.

I have an MP3 with the letters "RCA" on it, which could mean it's a Sony product, or it could be representative of the other companies Sony has sold the trademark to.  In any case, it's a cheapo music player I bought for about thirty bucks anyway, so I doubt it's representative of Sony's products.  It alphabetizes your songs instead of letting you choose the order, though, so I still have to watch out for song titles that begin with the letter "A."  (It's weird hearing "Animal I Have Become" right after "Animal Crackers In My Soup"...)

The first hit I get is for something called "Qriocity," a "new, cloud-based, digital music service from Sony that will give music lovers access to millions of songs stored and synchronized through the cloud," which is available for PSP's and presumably marketed toward those with a "query" fetish.  All of this means that it's absolutely none of my concern.  According to the reader comments, it's just a cheap copy of Zune, which means, again, none of my concern.  (I am familiar with Pandora, although I haven't logged on in months.  I should, though, I would probably have enough credits or whatever built up to get to the music I like...)

From AndroidCommunity.com, we have an important message for "the users that have picked up Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 or X10 and have been counting the days until there was an update for Android offered."  In other words, it's absolutely none of my concern, since I've never even heard of an "Xperia" until about five minutes ago.  According to reader comments, it's "old news," meaning I'll have to claw my way out of the Stone Age with a Google search just for Xperia.

Oh, okay, so it's for Android 2.0 specifically.  Or Android 2.0 is for the Xperia.  I'm not sure which is which, so obviously discussing Sony's portable devices is out of the question at this point.

Search:  "sony TV"...ah, here we go.  This "Google TV" looks promising...

Or not.  Apparently, the Google TV is about $200 more expensive than it should be, even after a $200 markdown just for Black Friday, the most wonderful time of the year.  A reader comments below on the Google TV being one of "2 unwanted and failed products." 

It just goes to show that you can count on the Internet to accentuate the negative.  Unless, of course, we're talking about our troops.  Actually, no, even our troops aren't off-limits.

So let's Google that other "unwanted and failed product"...ah, here we go.  Electronista cites customer complaints about Windows Phone 7.  Among these complaints include the customers having to pay for what they get and the product not being close to what they have paid for.  Of course, I'm paraphrasing here, there's stuff in there about a "beta experience" and "broken analytics."  The crux of the article is that users have apparently been purchasing pirated copies, and developers aren't receiving anywhere near the income they were expecting.  This isn't necessarily a problem for the customer per se, but it's still some bad publicity on Sony's part.

So, if I go strictly by this Google search, as opposed to any informed opinions (or lack thereof) based on my consumer habits (or lack thereof), Sony has been doing anything and everything wrong lately.

There, that question wasn't so hard.

---------------------------

Before I go, the last I've heard about our "not-hero" and recent Medal of Honor recipient Salvatore Giunta (whose name I apparently needed to edit just now), he was on the pre-Thanksgiving episode of the Late Show with David Letterman.  The episode can be found here in its entirety on CBS.com (those little white dots at the bottom of the screen are advertisements--just skip past the second or third one to get to their interview).

Highlights:  A dialogue on the value of "free things," the nation is introduced to his wife, and a discussion on what it's like to meet the President of the United States.

Note:  "Decaffeinated coffee...
It's what they're drinking in hell!
"

No comments:

Post a Comment