Friday, November 5, 2010

Corpse Carnage

It figures the one night I have actually stuff to turn in to class, my IRL blog buddy shows up at my doorstep and says he needs to talk.

As all has not been well for me recently, so has life not always been perfect for my circle of friends, and especially not the one guy I hang out with on a regular basis.  It's 2010, and the fact of the matter is that it's gotten harder to make friends.  Blame it on the Internet, blame it on iPods, blame it on politics, or just blame it on us.  All either of us knows for sure is that it isn't quite freshman year anymore.

Despite dealing with my own little existential crisis, I can't say I'm the best at helping others cope with their problems.  All I can do is lend them a listening ear, set aside a place to chill in my room, and offer platitudes such as "it isn't quite freshman year anymore," or "I'm sure things will get easier."  Or, "Maybe you should stop reading shit out loud.  Seriously, I'm a visual learner anyway, and besides...just stop reading shit out loud."


We got done talking for the night, seeing as how it was 11:00 and time for the Daily Show to come on.  He took a spot by my computer, which I needed to grab in order to finish a couple of assignments due the next morning.  I stress morning, and preface it with an "8 o'clock in the..."  Just so you know how inadvisable a late night was under the circumstances.

About ten minutes into the Daily Show, I saw my buddy getting on to a site to shoot up some zombies (something called "Corpse Carnage," I can only assume).  And I couldn't help but think quietly to myself, "What the heck?  The Daily Show is on right now.  You were the one who wanted to change the channel, aren't you even going to watch?"  Granted, I wasn't paying too much attention either, but that's because I had a homework assignment out.

It was about an hour into his game (and well into the Colbert Report) when I asked, "Are you going to get off my computer?"  He's all like, "I'm almost done with this."  By "almost," I can only assume he meant somewhere in the area of thirty to forty more minutes.

I knew he wanted to catch the midnight run of "South Park," seeing as how we were both waiting to see how the cliffhanger would be resolved.  Even so, as we watched the first few minutes of "Mysterion Rises," I couldn't help but feel the ever-growing twinge of tension as my buddy continued to mow down zombies from my computer.

There are two reasons I have added this post.  The first is relatively self-explanatory once you realize that not many people can run on four hours of sleep.  He finally left once South Park was over, but the homework I needed to complete on the computer ended up occupying me until I went to bed at the third strike of three o'clock.  Needless to say, I'm still a little tired right now.

The second, which finally got us to stop debating whether it's pronounced "kuh-thoo-loo" or "kuh-too-loo," was the reveal of Mysterion's identity and the secret of his power.  At the beginning of the episode, he notes his secret ability, something of a "curse" more than a gift, but the moment Mysterion's identity was revealed, two and two quickly came together as my buddy and I came to utter three simple words:  "He can't die."


My buddy, ever the otaku of my circle of friends, was quick to notice the "Tortoro" reference with Cartman riding Cthulhu.  He couldn't stop laughing at the song playing as the two monsters, human and unreal cosmic entity, went on a rampage, while I couldn't stop thinking to myself, "Cartman, of all people, would be the one to tame Cthulhu..."

Oh, and from what he's told me, it is pronounced "kuh-too-loo."  That 'h' at the beginning is silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment