Saturday, December 11, 2010

More Corpse Carnage

Damn you, Tim Allen, and your love affair with cars.  I liked you better when you were building elaborate Man's [Insert Household Room Here] and grills that could sh...

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see you there.  I'm just here at my computer, wasting time until I have to go to a Christmas party with some good friends of mine.  (Well, one of them's a good friend, the others are mostly acquaintances, one of them I kind of know from class.)

The IRL buddy of mine--the same one who reads out loud and apparently likes playing "Corpse Carnage"--recently re-introduced me to Metalocalypse.  I've only seen a few episodes, but I'd be tempted to do a Brewhaha review just from what I've seen.  (Maybe once the holidays have passed...)

For those of you who have never heard of it, a quick summary:  Metalocalypse is an Adult Swim cartoon based on Dethklok, which may or may not be based on an actual death metal band.  The premise of the show is this cartoonishly-influential death metal band gaining hordes of fans the world over, becoming rich, becoming a world power, and basically wreaking havoc and more-or-less moving the world closer to apocalypse.

No, they're not trying to start the apocalypse.  They're just idiots.  The SpongeBob Squarepants of anti-Christs, if you will.

So, while a season or two of Metalocalypse waits patiently on my Christmas list this year, I decided to do a quick journey into the depths of Google to see what I could find out about death/tech/DARKER AND EDGIER metal.

And lo and behold, I discovered some DARKER AND EDGIER bands.

The first video I came across (since YouTube audio gets past the radar a lot easier than any full-fledged videos, and is much easier to get a hold of and play anyway) was a fan retrospective on the "technicals" of death metal.  Seems like a good jumping off point to get into the intimidating world of death metal.

I also, as always, consulted the all-knowing Google on death metal, and soon came across Cannibal Corpse, a death metal band that was apparently formed at the turn of the 80's/90's.  Going from there, I journeyed on to YouTube to see what I could find, and managed to dreg up one or two or twenty videos of theirs.  Yes, apparently this band has done more than one video.  Or, for that matter, more than no videos at all...

Whenever I go into YouTube, I get an ad from Tim Allen promising us a car that "can plug into any socket."  Of course, I tune these ads out, but based on good old Tim Taylor's voice-over, they're trying to sell us a car that, while not extremely picky when it comes to matters of where it gets its juice from, is still emphatically the man's THE MAN'S CAR!

As you watch this three-minute symphony of metal, though, note the various touches of these seasoned, veteran musicians, including the clockwise positioning of their guitars, as well as their extremely well-choreographed head-banging, and the Victorian-esque vocals as the long-haired metal connoisseur with the mic deftly reminds us of the DEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATHHH WAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-chorus.



Not to mention being able to inject a level of pathos into what is apparently the beginnings of a zombie apocalypse.

I've also come across a band called Brain Drill numerous times, which I don't really feel like linking to right now, since I've got to leave five minutes ago.  But before I leave you, I will give you a band called Fleshgod Apocalypse.



Spoiler:  That piano doesn't last very long.

No comments:

Post a Comment