Wednesday, October 20, 2010

1 Star

You know, every once in a while, someone asks me what exactly is the point of my blog title.  (Well, okay, so no one's really said anything, but that's beside the point...)

And then I come across a video like this:



I get the feeling that I would exhaust my various four-letter words far faster than I could come up with new ones.  (Ironically, these paragons of patriotism would probably give me one star for swearing anyway, so I guess that all works out.)

I'd like to note that, although the video title gives the impression that these individuals are undergoing "guerilla" training, this is not the case.  Upon viewing the video, it becomes clear that the subjects are the last people you would bother calling "guerillas."  However, the posters of the video, one "astroturfwars", creates a video title that gives a false first impression of the video's actual content.  This object, this false first impression, is accomplished using a cursory knowledge of the Internet (i.e. the video title function) to give users of this information (the random person surfing the Web) an impression and opinion which does not take the facts contained within the video into account.

You see what I just did there?

One could argue that my analogy is invalid, because the posters of the video are misrepresenting factual information contained within the video (that is, the fact that our American Liberty team consists of Internet "guerillas," rather than camouflaged, gun-toting guerillas who will physically attack you in the dead of the night), while the lesson taught by the esteemed instructor within the video suggests a misuse of ratings systems for books, movies, blogs, etc., which is simply a matter of misrepresenting opinion...

Except, he goes on to gleefully admit, "I get on Amazon, I type in 'Liberal Books.'  I go through and click '1 Star, 1 Star, 1 Star.'  The flipside is, you go to a 'conservative,' 'libertarian,' whatever, go to their products and give them 5 stars.  Okay?  So, literally 80% of the books I put one star on, I don't read.  So that's how it works."

So rather than giving his opinion based on a careful examination of the works he is rating, or even so much as a cursory glance of the, oh, words and thoughts put on paper for people to read, he rates these books based on whether or not he likes the title, or the blurb on the back, or the reviews from us members of the "liberal" media.  He is literally judging a book by its cover.

Say it with me, folks...

The Brewsky is not amused.

No comments:

Post a Comment