Monday, October 18, 2010

No Money, No Problems

Many moons ago, I started this Blogger profile in order to make some extra cash.  I was hoping to supplement this extra cash with whatever money or cash prizes I would make while applying for scholarships and filling out surveys.  Also, I did some actual work for a living.

Have you ever tried filling out surveys?  Just answer a few questions about your habits as a consumer or what you do for your free-time, and you could earn up to $250 a week!  It's fast, easy, and...you'll be inundated with email after email for each new survey you have to fill out.

How is it that filling out stuff online for money is even more tedious than anything I've done for school or work?  Hell, I had to make signs out of glitter and construction paper (it was a college job) and that still wasn't as tedious as any of the stuff I've had to do online.  Granted, there was a supervisor talking me through it, but still...

You see, there's a little spot called ScholarshipPoints.com.  It lets you earn points which will go toward a scholarship drawing; the more points you earn, the better your chances are of winning.  All you have to do is join such reputed research groups as Zoom Panel or Harris Poll Online and fill out surveys for them, and you'll get a thousand points!

As experience has taught me, if you can't "Join" them on Facebook (which is no longer an option, since you can only "Like" a group anymore), then it's simply not worth it.  Of course, if anyone has experience with these particular groups I've mentioned, I challenge you to convince me otherwise (especially if you've managed to "Join" them on Facebook).

One site I've signed up for is MyView, which has semi-regularly been sending me emails for surveys I apparently need to fill out.  The only problem is that they tend to want information on your "consumer habits"; they ask questions ranging from how many household appliances you typically buy, to the last time you went on vacation.  Of course, if your broke ass doesn't have anything in the way of "consumer habits," and you fill out "N/A" for all of their preliminary questions, they tell you, "Sorry, but we are unable to find an appropriate survey for you."  So, no survey, no money.


For your information, I never buy household appliances, and the closest I ever come to a vacation is the Wal-Mart parking lot for about an hour at a time, whenever either my home or dorm life gets to be too much.  Hell, the only car I've ever had (and still drive to this day) is almost as old as I am.  Between that and the computer with which I am on the Internet right now, I haven't made a whole lot of big purchases.  Which means that, as far as researchers are concerned, I am useless and might as well not exist.  (I am starting to get back into the groove of at least renting movies or heading to the theater, if for no other reason than my Brewhaha reviews.)

Yes, I know you have to "spend money to make money," and I guess maybe my movie-related expenses and my "investments" (the car, the computer, maybe a home of my own eventually) might qualify.  But when was it that our researchers decided that you need an entertainment budget just to qualify for their surveys?  When was it that whoring out our wallets to consumerism became rewarded?  When did this happen, and how did I miss the memo?  (By the way, "RED" is awesome, and it beats "The Expendables" by a mile.)

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the discount aisle.  By the way, my editor?  You know, the guy who posts my notes and "bio" at the end?  Yeah, I've cut back his hours.

Note:  The Brewsky is an enthusiastic contributor and...wait, he did what?

No comments:

Post a Comment